Thursday 3 March 2016

Disappointment


Isaiah 5:1-4
The Song of the Unfruitful Vineyard

Let me sing for my beloved
my love-song concerning his vineyard:
My beloved had a vineyard
on a very fertile hill.
He dug it and cleared it of stones,
and planted it with choice vines;
he built a watchtower in the midst of it,
and hewed out a wine vat in it;
he expected it to yield grapes,
but it yielded wild grapes.
And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem
and people of Judah,
judge between me
and my vineyard.
What more was there to do for my vineyard
that I have not done in it?
When I expected it to yield grapes,
why did it yield wild grapes?

A picture of disappointment
Of energy expended
 with no return
Of investment
that yielded no fruit
Of hard work and effort
that brought no gain.
A picture that evokes empathy
for the one who has worked so hard
and tried every which way
to bring about fruitfulness 
An empathy that brings
not resolution
but companionship
in the sorrow
of hopes dashed
and promise
snuffed out
in loss.
No light
simply accompaniment
through sorrow.

Prayer
O God, may we who are fixers lay down our tools and acknowledge when death must come to make way for resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment